[gps-talkusers] Re: My gps and the sighted:

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:05:19 -0700

Mary Ellen,

Even if you don't use the GPS on the airplane to Hawaii, I sure would love
to have you add points of interest. I have put some in Hawaii and if you
use the User BPI file you'll see some of the places I have been.

Even when you are flying over water, it can be fun to use the GPS without
street maps. I actually won a bottle of champagne on a trip to Hawaii
because I won the contest to estimate when we would be half way across the
ocean from San Francisco. I was cheating and using my GPS to see speed and
distance to the destination. I fessed up and they told the whole airplane
the blind guy was cheating.

If you need help loading maps, you know where to call.

Mike

>Hi guys!
>I have to share the super neat thing which happened as Peggy and I were on
>our evening walk.
>Our little village is some of the sweetest dog walking country in Cincinnati
>so quite naturally nearly everyone who moves in here has dogs. Peg and I met
>our friend Dana with her lab and terrier and her friend, Sandra with her
>cocker spaniel. The three of us got to talking and one of the ladies was
>excusing herself because she wanted to duck in to home to call a local
>restaurant to get barbecue.
>I said, "I've got a much better idea.
>I handed her my cell phone found the restaurant on the gps did a control P.
>and got her the phone number so as we stood there, Dana called and ordered
>barbecue. I had to decline as I had already eaten my dinner but these women
>were oohing and awing over this marvle. I told them that it would get a good
>workout in Honolulu and Maui and guess what, guys! Just about this time in 2
>weeks we will start our 6 hour flight over the Pacific.
>
>Wow its getting closer by the minute.
>I am not planning to run the gps on that flight because frankly I don't know
>where to start with something like that.
>As it is I only have Ohio, Illinois and Hawaii loaded on my microdrive and
>it runs much better and knock on wood, no lock-ups.
>So I think I'm gonna keep Ohio and Illinois on there but probably put some
>other state on when I get home.
>Have a happy week, all!
>Mary Ellen

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Developers and distributors of BrailleNote GPS
Now distributing BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Miniguide, The Tissot Silen-T
tactile watch and the ID Mate, bar code reader

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

(530) 757-6800, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA

Latitude, 38 33 9.239 North
Longitude, 121 45 40.145 West