[gps-talkusers] Interesting Use of the Sendero GPS and the Rain

  • From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:46:00 -0800

I just thought that I share what I do with the GPS in the rain as well as an
interesting use of the GPS.

I have found that for real emergency as in the case of not being prepared for
the rain that any grocery style bag will suffice. I
will placed the unit in the bag first then tie a knot to meet where the
joystick is on the PK or the center of the thumb keys on the
mPower. I think that if Sandy Staples would speak on this subject, she would
recommend Target bags being quality bags for being able
to read the Braille display as well as still being water proof. I have also
zipped the unit in my rain coat and still managed to
access the keys without much difficulties.

I found a rather interesting use for the GPS last week when I was in St. Pete
Beach, Florida for the "Getting in Touch With
Literacy" conference. The resort happen to be on the Gulf of Mexico and not
only did I mark various POIs along the Gulf as well as
various buildings that belonged to the resort and quality and recommended
restaurants, which I will submit to be added to the User
POI Collection.

There are these Aqua Cycles, which are very similar to paddle boats but
slightly different. And as many might know me as the person
who will go just about no where with his GPS; I recalled that ziplocks being
airtight and waterproof, so I decided to toss the PK
and receiver into the bag and zip it. I was able to mark various POIs such as
the buoy, boundary lines, dock, and also determine
speed and ndirection. I am sure that many would have rather would have left
their GPS onshore and not risk damaging it, but I just
couldn't pass up the opportunity to mark POIs and follow along. You too can be
the blind person determining speed and when the
adjust the course.

Kevin