[gps-talkusers] Re: Help understanding roundabouts

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:21:09 +0000

Hi Malaina, and All,

A roundabout is sometimes called a traffic circle in the US I believe.  It iis
a circular road with four or more roads all meeting.   So, for example, instead
of a four-way junction where you can either turn left, right, or go sstraight
on, you ddrive onto the roundabout, and then go around the circle until you
come to the road you need.  It is supposed to help traffic flow more smoothly,
and they are absolutely everywhere in the UK.

Like Alice, who I thought put her points with grace and clarity, I take issue
with just one thing that Charles's  said.   I don't think this is just one more
feature being requested by a small minority, but rather  a real flaw in an
otherwise superb system.   If Charles or Mike were to spend a week or two in
the UK, perhaps it would keep its rightful place on the to-do list.

Ever hopefully,

Peter

--

*******