[gps-talkusers] Re: Gps 3.1 Won't Install on New Pk

  • From: "meearls" <meearls@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:28:44 -0700

Woo Hoo! And you are going to have a literal blast with the thing once you get started. It will be a snap for you to learn and you will wonder within 2 days if it takes that long how you ever lived without the thing.
And there are so many many ways you do things with it. You can set a perscribed route automatically or manually, or you can simply take a walk and hit the space with x after turning the repeat mode on and just go.
Ok now after doing that, if you want to go home, hit control S I mean Space S. Now key in your state, City, Street Name and the number. Now press space with the D and it will ask if you want that as a destination to which youwrite D a Poi to which you write P or a virtual position to which you write v.
Now put P then when you go into the poi's your home address will be there.
Ok after putting in the P you can hit the f. key and arrow to your address or whatever you have called that poi. Now hit space D. Then key in the M which will turn the repeat key off. Hit the M again and when it asks you what you want to have repeated hit D. Now start walking and watch what happens. This is basically how I use my gps.
Another fun thing to do is, Say you have a particular park bench you go to to catch your bus. Put that in as a Point of Interest and see how the gps gets you to it.
I don't know if you have a dog, butthis is a good subtle way to pattern your dog to go certain places.
I have not done too much with the automated route function because for the last 3 years, my house in Cincinnati has been on a road which the gps classifies as a highway. As a result of this, it will not make a pedestrian route along this road. I did make a route to a nearby church using the vehicular route and managed to get to this place but this is something I am telling you now because I had to learn this via many frustrating hours.
Also, you can create your own routes manually. So, if you cut through your back yard to go to a friend's house no reason why you can't put that back yard of yours as an electronic bread crumb and have the gps let you know how to get there.
I actually keyed in a route to the grocery store this way when I came to Scottsdale because the automated route was going to have me cross a 6 lane roadway where there is notraffic light.
What is so amazing to me about this particular version as opposed to the version I have on my classic Braille Note is that this has look around mode on in the virtual setting which will bring you right to say a traffic control's pole if you have marked it in theuser poi file.
And the fabulous thing is that as time goes on, this can only get better.
I am actually on my fourth receiver. Not because any or all are broken, it is because the technology has evolved so much that it makes your head spin.
Ok I'm going to hang up now as I could go on and on and on about this but I am telling you just some of the ways I use this truly magnificent tool.
Mary Ellen Earls
Remember! Today is the Tomorrow you thought about yesterday.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Vicky Collins" <v-collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>