[gps-talkusers] Re: Garmin GPS 18 Satellite Navigation system with nRoute software

  • From: "Baracco, Andrew W" <Andrew.Baracco@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:35:15 -0700

Well Danny, the first version of the Sendero GPS ran on a laptop.  I
think that's great if you are in situations where you are carrying a
laptop around, but I don't think that most of us are in that situation
all of the time.  I have a dell Inspiron laptop, and I like it very
much, but I don't like lugging it around any more than necessary, and
sure wouldn't want to carry it around just for location purposes.  How
would you give it commands, access info, etc. while walking and managing
a cane, dog, etc.  These issues are a big part of why Sendero ported
their system to the Braillenote, and why systems like Trekker, which run
on a PDA exist.  The next logical step would be to have a blind friendly
GPS location system running on a cell phone.  Miniaturization is the
key, and I think that using a laptop for this purpose is an impractical
step backwards.

Andy