[gps-talkusers] Excited about my GPS Weekend

  • From: Joleen <cjferg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:35:59 -0700

Hi All,

I wanted to share my GPS weekend with all of you. As a new user, just about a week's experience, I set off on a train trip with a friend, also blind. We listened to my Sendero as it kept us updated on the train speed, the points of interest, the towns we passed and on and on. How fun it was to know where we were along our trip.

When we reached the end of the run, we took a taxi to our destination and I used the GPS with a route open between the train station and the destination. I told the driver that I was practicing and he was impressed that I was able to tell him where I thought we should turn. I told him that I knew he knew his way, but I was learning the new system.

I was able to record some user POI's for the college campus where I spent the weekend. When it was time to go, one participant wanted directions to the bus stop. Knowing that I had lots of bus information available, I found stops and she confirmed the one she needed. I also learned that the numbers that had seemed irrevelent before turned out to be the bus numbers. Never mind that my search from our known location was only 313 feet, I found what I thought should be the bus stop and, low and behold, there sat the bus. She would have missed it if she had waited where others told her it should be. It was already parked and the driver soon came out from the building and boarded the bus. He would not have seen her waiting about 300 feet behind him. I was thrilled with my GPS.

Later, after the return train trip, when my husband met and drove us home, I set a route to my friend's house. The Sendero told us where to turn. This was not news for my husband, but it was certainly fun for me.

I noticed that the WAAS satellite was intermittently available. I wonder if it is turned on for brief periods or if it is intermittent because of my GPS changing view of the sky.

This coming weekend, my husband and I will be traveling to new territory and I am hopeful that I will have enough experience to help him with directions as we go. Very excited,

Joleen