[gps-talkusers] Re: Are useful travel directions available on line?

  • From: Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:57:27 -0700

Google Maps recently included Pedestrian routes. I thought that I compare
this with the Sendero GPS to see how Google compares with Pedestrian routes
and this was interesting...it looks like that the distance and ETA is
accurate but the directions may need some work. The route it gave me told me
to walk on the freeway for about 3 miles and takes a very interesting and
roundabout approach once you get off the freeway. This won't necessarily be
true of all routes, but it is something to watch out for. It still won't
give you what you are looking for, which sounds more like a T-Maps or a
Virtual mode type thing where you could explore the map.

Google should still be given the credit for the first to include routes for
pedestrians. They were just lacking in the areas of Quality Assurance and
Thorough Testing.

Google Maps, http://maps.google.com/

Thanks,

Kevin