[gps-talkusers] A few different things:

  • From: Mary Ellen Earls <meearls@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:36:50 -0400

Hi folks!
Well I think I have told you that when Seeing Eye came to train me and Peg when
we moved to Scottsdale, they had us map out a route for exercising.
Well I think I had mentioned that I had one horrible time getting on this route
because we had to find a street called second street which is on the maps but
not where we need it. In other words it is one of these streets with different
parts to it.
Well, yesterday, Peg and I were walking and I had my intersection mode going
and I suddenly heard `Second Street 150 feet ahead to North Miller Road.`
Bingo! We were on the route so we kept on going, made a right on to miller
crossed first and chugged on up to Main Street where we made our turn and
headed toward home.
Well I am happy to say we have our route but Peggy discovered one of the
complexes has a huge fountain and whenever we get near it she wants, of course,
to take a nice drink. We can't because there is a fence between us and it of
course.
Anyway now we have our exercise route and we have walked over a mile already
with this heavy old braille note.
I am happy to report that with my new cables my receiver is working better than
ever and we have gottenvery good, 9 satellites on more than one occasion.
There was something else. Oh yes, as far as navigating. I have had the problem
of knowing exactly how to tell these paratransit drivers where they must be but
most don't listen and end up wasting time being lost. Well I simply say `just
listen and I can get you where we need to be.`
So that has been my experience.
I will be signing a year's lease out here for this apartment as soon as it
arrives in the mail so will no doubt have many more adventures with the gps.
Bye for now.
Mary Ellen Earls