[gpodder] Re: proposing minor gtk-ui tweaks

  • From: Thomas Perl <th.perl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:20:07 +0100

Yo,

On 18 Jan 2014, at 23:25, benjamin Hummon <benjamin.hummon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1.
> Currently:
> The episodes list view has "Episode", "Size", and "Released" columns enabled
> by default.
>
> Proposed change:
> Enable "Duration" instead of "Size" by default.
>
> Reason:
> I suspect that most users will care more about the duration of an episode
> than its file size.

Sounds good. Should just need a toggling of "'columns': int('101', 2), #
bitfield of visible columns” in src/gpodder/config.py

> 2.
> Currently:
> The "Episode details" menu item in the "Episodes" menu is always available,
> even if a podcast isn't selected.
> Further, after selecting "Episode details", the user must select another
> podcast feed to hide the details.
>
> Proposed change:
> Disable "Episode details" if a podcast isn't selected.
> Rename as "Show episode details" and make it a toggle.
>
> Possible further changes:
> Move "Show episode details" to the "View" menu, and make it stay shown/hidden
> when selected different feeds.
>
> Reason:
> I find the process of showing/hiding "Episode details" confusing.

Also Ok. This is in the “Episodes” menu mostly for historic reasons (episode
details once was a separate dialog).

> 3.
> Currently:
> The "View" menu contains menu items: "'All episodes' in podcast list"
> and "Use sections for podcast list".
>
> Proposed change:
> Relocate these menu items to the "Preferences" dialogue.
>
> Reason:
> I don't think many users will want to toggle these menu items very often.

Sounds okay.

> 4.
> Currently:
> The toolbar has "Download", "Play", and "Cancel" icons.
>
> Proposed change:
> Replace these three icons with two icons:
>   Stream/Play icon
>   Download/Cancel icon
>
> Reason:
> Make these toolbar icons act like the icons in the RMB context sensitive menu
> for a podcast episode.

Ok. We might even rework this further for Gtk3/GNOME 3, but someone would have
to port it to the GObject Introspection-based Python Gtk bindings first (hint,
hint… ;).

> 5.
> Currently:
> The toolbar has icons for "Preferences" and "Quit".
>
> Proposed change:
> Remove the "Preferences" and "Quit" icons from the toolbar.
>
> Reason:
> These icons are not typically included on an application's toolbar.

Also sounds good.

> I have a plenty of other ideas, too, but I figured I could get started on
> these. Thoughts or suggestions?

Yep, start with these. You can submit pull requests on Github, those are
currently easiest to handle. Let me know if you need help finding your way
around the codebase.

Looking forward to your patches!