[gpodder-devel] import gl error

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:17:13 +0200

Hello!

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 09:31 -0500, Mark Alford wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Thomas Perl wrote:
> > Sounds like you have an old version of gPodder installed as a
> package
> > in /usr/ and a recent version installed manually to /usr/local/, ...
>
> That's exactly right. I agree with your download page,
>    "The preferred way of obtaining gPodder is through the
>    package repositories of your Linux distribution..."
> Maintenance via yum is so much easier than manual installation.
>
> But I want to use gdfs-check.py etc, which aren't included
> in the .rpm package, so I downloaded the source just to get them.
>
> (a) How does gdfs-check.py in /usr/local/.... know that
> there is another version of gpodder installed elsewhere?

Basically, it doesn't. But gdfs-check.py has "import" statements that
imports some parts of the gPodder Python modules. I am not really sure
how Python resolves the search order, but the basic problem is that you
have multiple different versions of the gPodder Python modules in,
say, /usr/ and /usr/local/ and if Python chooses the wrong one (as
happened to you), then it's like 0.11.1 gdfs-check.py is trying to work
with gPodder modules from 0.10.4 (or so).

> (b) Would it work if I got gdfs-check.py from the source for
> version 0.10.4, which is the version of the package in /usr/?
> (That's the version that the Fedora repository has provided).

Yes, grab the source tarball for the gPodder version you have installed
and use the gdfs scripts from there. You can download older source
tarballs for gPodder from this page:

https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5351

> (c) Wouldn't it make sense to provide gdfs-check.py and gdfs-init.py
> in the package? Is Jeff Spaleta still the guy to talk to about that?

Basically, the gdfs-*.py scripts are unsupported, but they could be
included in a directory like /usr/share/doc/gpodder/examples/ (that's
where I would put them in the Debian package). I don't really have any
numbers on how many people are using the gdfs scripts, so I don't know
if the functionality is important to a majority of users or not.