[gpodder] Re: iPods in gpodder 3

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jnwickremasinghe@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:16:24 -0800

Hi Jim,

I wrote the gPodder sync feature (for both Android and Apple) so I'm the one
who needs to the blame (or praise, much less often).

You'll need to mount your iPhone with gtkpod and then use gPodder to sync the
files. You use gtkpod to enable your computer can access the iPhone and then
gPodder will be able to write to the iPhone database and during the sync.

So - mount the device using using gtkpod and ensure that you can access your
files, then use gPodder to sync.

We rely on the user to be able to connect their device to the computer first
and establish the link before trying to sync. (It's really too complicated for
gPodder to figure out, and probably best done by the user.) The same is true of
Android devices - users must mount their Android device and only then will
gPodder be able to sync.

Apple support was added in gPodder 3.6, so you'll need to ensure that you're
using at least that version. I'm an Ubuntu user (and always a few releases
behind)  - even on 12.04, the gPodder version is only 3.51. For 3.60 and above,
you see 'iPod' as an option in the 'Device Type' drop-down in the Devices tab
of the Preference window.

Let me know if I can help get you set up.

Thanks,

Joseph