[gpodder-devel] iPod touch update

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:31:51 +0100

Hello, Pieter!

Pieter De Decker wrote:
> [...] However, you might be able to get the podcast
> play statuses working correctly by making gPodder check the play status of a
> podcast to set the play count accordingly (i.e. if a podcast has been
> played, make sure that its play count is set to 1 and not 0). Is that
> possible?

That's what we currently do, here's the relevant part from
libipodsync.py (if track.playcount == 0 then track.playcount = 1):

>     def set_podcast_flags( self, track, episode):
>         if not ipod_supported():
>             return False
>         try:
>             # Add blue bullet next to unplayed tracks on 5G iPods
>             # (only if the podcast has not been played locally already
>             gl = libgpodder.gPodderLib()
>             if gl.history_is_played(episode.url) and not
> gl.config.on_sync_mark_played:
>                 track.mark_unplayed = 0x01
>                 # Increment playcount if it's played locally
>                 # but still has zero playcount on iPod
>                 if track.playcount == 0:
>                     track.playcount = 1
>             elif track.playcount == 0:
>                 track.mark_unplayed = 0x02

I think the issue has to be somewhere else, then. Have you had another
look at the playcount issue?

>> What about adding a video to the iPod using gtkpod? Is
>> that displayed in the iPod's menus then?
>
> Okay, so this is strange. I added a new video to my iPod using gtkpod, and
> it showed up in the Video menu as normal. I even tried setting the 'Media
> type' field (for a list of available options:
> http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3641/listoa4.jpg) from 'Video podcast' to
> 'Video' to make the video podcast show up in the Video menu but that didn't
> help.
>
> This video has been added manually to my iPod library, and this one
> *does*show up in the Video menu:
> http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9913/geoffdayjob1ya7.jpg
> http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/433/geoffdayjob2tr1.jpg
> http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2320/geoffdayjob3lc6.jpg
> http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4827/geoffdayjob4uw3.jpg
> http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8245/geoffdayjob5fe4.jpg
> (I also got this video to show up as a video podcast, by the way.)
>
> The video podcast I added to my iPod library using gPodder *doesn't* show up
> in the Video menu. You've seen these screenshots before, but I'll give you
> the links one more time for your convenience:
> http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1628/cnettopfive1as4.jpg
> http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6904/cnettopfive2up4.jpg
> http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5039/cnettopfive3bj9.jpg
> http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2563/cnettopfive4ow9.jpg
> http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9986/cnettopfive5lx3.jpg
>
> I don't see that much of a difference, except for the bitrate and sample
> rate. I checked my other video podcasts, they all have their bitrate and
> sample rate set to zero. I can change the value in these fields but I doubt
> that that would help.

So, even if the bitrate and samplerate are set to zero, the video
podcast works? Maybe the iPod relies on the video bitrate. Please try
these two things:

  *) Set the bitrate to zero for "working" videos and see if this
     breaks them on normal iPods

  *) Set the bitrate to some non-zero value (maybe the real bitrate
     value which you can get by first adding it via gtkpod and looking
     at the set bitrate, then deleting it via gtkpod and sync via
     gPodder); then, see if this makes the video appear on the iPod

> I can't help but notice that the sample rate and bitrate are once again set
> to 0. Hmm... Oh by the way, I believe that your iPod mini also supports
> enhanced podcasts. It might be easier to investigate this if you can play
> with it yourself too, you know. :)

I will try as soon as I reboot into OS X. Sadly, I'm still at 64k ISDN
here at home, so downloading anything bigger than 10 MiB fastly mutates
into a day job ;)

>> Are enhanced podcasts added correctly when adding the single downloaded
>> file from the feed (m4a) using gtkpod?
>
> I can add them to my iPod manually but my iPod acts as if it was a regular
> podcast, just like with any enhanced podcast I copied to my iPod using
> gPodder. Does that mean that this is a libgpod-related issue?

I think it is, after doing some research on the web myself. The
"chapter" data (as seen on http://ipodlinux.org/ITunesDB) in the
iTunesDB holds information about the chapters. From what I read on the
web, iTunes extracts the chapter information from the m4a files and
writes it into the iTunesDB. libgpod/gtkpod only has support for "raw"
chapter files, meaning that it will not destroy chapter data (read raw,
write raw) that is in the iTunesDB, but it also means that there is no
way of "construction" chapter data in the iTunesDB. And even if it _was_
possible, it would still mean that we would have to extract chapter data
from the m4a files, parse it correctly and then prepare and inject it
into the iTunesDB file.

Maybe you want to write to the gtkpod/libgpod development mailing list
and ask about the status for iTunesDB chapter support in libgpod.

Good luck!