[gpodder-devel] iPod nano syncing problem3

  • From: manuel_seifner at yahoo.de (Manuel Seifner)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:07:58 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

> I also have some (minor) issues with sync'ing to an iPod (a
> 5th generation nano). In all cases, you can start gpodder
> from the command line with the '--verbose' option, that will
> give you more output to identify problems.

Thanks, should have thought of that *slapsforehead*

> This usually means that the ipod is not mounted at the
> point where gpodder expects it to be. gpodder uses a
> "hard-coded" path for the ipod, but it may be that UDEV/HAL
> assigns a different name. For example, my USB thumbdrive is
> sometimes mounted as "/media/disk" and sometimes
> "/media/disk-1". I cannot find any pattern in these

> occurences, but something similar may happen to your ipod.
Pretty sure I checked for that the last couple of times, but I'll check again
it happens the next time.

> I have the same thing happening. In my case, all episodes
> will be transferred, they show up in rhythmbox, but when I
> disconnect the ipod will say "0 podcasts". If I re-connect,
> view in rhythmbox and then eject from rhythmbox, the ipods
> are playable.

Had one of those cases today again. Thanks to --verbose I saw gPodder
complaining about not finding the iTunesDB, even though the path it gave
(/media/IPOD/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB) is correct and I did find this file
there with dolphin.
As you said the files show up in rhythmbox, although simply looking at them and
then ejecting the iPod didn't make a difference for me.
I noticed that (unlike those I put on the iPod under iTunes in Windows) the
Genre was "unknown" and they did not have a track number. Rhythmbox would not
let me edit the tags on the iPod so I pulled one of the files (a Linux Outlaws
episode) into the rhythmbox music library. Rhythmbox automatically assigned it
the genre "Podcast" and a track number. I pushed it back on the device and
ejected the iPod. This episode did not appear on the iPod, but what did appear
are 39 copies of Tech News Today #114. Which is the correct amount (I copied
the #76 -#114), but obviously I'd rather have the 39 episodes instead of the
copies.

All in all an interesting experiment that left me even more confused than
before :)

So Long
Manuel