[gpodder] gpodder doesn't recognize the date

  • From: Ilona Rabinovich <Ilona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:03:37 -0800

Hi,

I have upgraded to gPodder 3.0 recently, and I start seeing the problem that I don't think existed before.

I use command-line version (gpo) on my linux (Fedora 16) server. As a side note, it seems to be the only podcast client that stores the metadata in well-designed database and allows me to read this and use on a webpage. Very nicely done - thank you!

So, two related problems on one particular feed - http://radio.nationalreview.com/radioderb/radioderb.xml

First, for some reason, gpo doesn't get pubDate field. It looks to me the same way, as it does on other feeds, where it comes across fine, for example,

<pubDate>Fri, 10 Feb, 2012 09:00:00 EST</pubDate>

However, I can see that episode.published field is 0.

So, in order to show, say, 10 latest feeds I manually set this field to something meaningful (for example, download date, which is a good approximation of published date). However, next time I run gpo update, I am getting the following warning:

WARNING:gpodder.model:Using download URL as GUID for <title field>

Note, that this warning comes up whether I make any changes in the database or not.

Well, the feed is indeed missing GUID, so the warning is valid (I don't remember seeing it in v2). The problem is that for whatever reason, it overwrites the data in the database, including my manually set published field. I know I was setting the date manually in v2, and it didn't get wiped out between downloads.

With my PHP and C/Java knowledge I tried to troubleshoot - but I think I hit the brick wall. I can't figure out where does the program get the date, and what is different in this date. I see where it doesn't find GUID and give a warning, and adds the episode to "seen" array, and overwrites the record... but with Python skills, obviously, I can't change that :(

Hope anybody can help me here...
Thanks