[gpodder-devel] gPodder like podcatcher I'm working on for Android

  • From: brot at gmx.info (Bernd)
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:20:00 +0100

On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 18:40 -0700, Leif Andersen wrote:
> gPodder has been (by far) my favorite podcatcher I've ever used, and a
> few months back, I bought an Android Phone.  To my dismay, gPodder was
> not on android.  (In fact, I could not find any really good podcatchers
> on android at the time, and no open source ones at all, although I did
> find a few open source rss/atom readers).  So, I decided to start my
> own.  I originally gave it the codename NetCatch until I came up with a
> better name (currently I'm thinking DroidPodder if this community is
> okay with that name anyway).  Because gPodder is written using the GTK
> libraries, I could really port it to Android (as there is no port of GTK
> for android to my knowledge), so I started writing it from scratch in Java.
>
> Anyway, I've released the first alpha of Netcatch today, and it can be
> found at GitHub,
> https://github.com/downloads/LeifAndersen/NetCatch/NetCatch.apk, and the
> source code can be found at the github project page:
> https://github.com/LeifAndersen/NetCatch
>
> Currently it's licensed under the Apache 2.0 license, but I am willing
> to license my portion of the code under the GPL if needed, and I'm
> fairly certain I will be able to get the other contributors of the
> project to do the same.
>
> So one of the features that NetCatch needs to have is integration to
> gpodder.net.  It seems like there is a published API here:
> http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/Web_Services/API_2, and even a java version
> of software to connect with here: https://github.com/nheid/mygpodderlib
>  However, it does not state what license it is under.  Is it safe to
> assume that it is GPL?  If so, does it matter what version?  (The FSF
> seems to claim that v2 is not compatible with Apache, but v3 is, and
> although I don't agree with some of the FSFs claims about dynamic
> linking, I would like to avoid any legal troubles I may have in the future).
>
> Finally, if you have any other feedback to send me (even if it's just to
> tell me that I shouldn't call it DroidPodder or something like that), I
> would appreciate hearing about it, as well as any other help you're
> willing to give with the project.  Remember though that it still is an
> early alpha, and a lot of the features are missing, and the ones that
> are there are quite buggy.
>
> Thank You
>
> P.S.  If this is an inappropriate place for me to mention this, I am
> sorry.  I looked over the logs in an attempt to ensure that this
> wouldn't be considered spam, and I think that you would be interested in
> hearing about it.

I think this is the right place to mention your project.

But there is always another project which works on an Android gPodder
app. Nico Heid is the author of mygpodderlib (which you mentioned above)
and he is also the author of GpoRoid
(https://github.com/nheid/GpodRoid).

I fear GpoRoid isn't really useful at the moment, but this could change
in the future - I hope so.

I really would like to see an Android gPodder application which syncs
with mygpodder.net. But in the moment there are only two projects and
none of them are ready at the moment?

Have you ever contacted Nico Heid and talked with him about his projects
and his plans?

~ Bernd