[gpodder-devel] gPodder: Seeking testers of new version

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:07:24 +0200

Hello there!

I'm currently working on a much improved version of gPodder, featuring
cool things such as:

 - better standards support through feedparser (Atom feeds, etc..)
 - DOM instead of SAX/direct file I/O for XML parsing/writing
 - re-structured code layout
 - merging of "played" and "status" columns in main view
 - "cancel" download button works for items in the available tab
 - channel settings in local DB file
 - better feed caching through custom version of feedcache
 - better performance for the channel list view / less "full updates"
 - console interface fixed/improved
 - source code is getting more slick / better maintainability :)
 - more yet to come!

The codebase is a bit experimental (as you can imagine), so these
changes are not available in trunk, but in the "gpodder-thp-200708"
branch. In your SVN checkout, use "/branches/gpodder-thp-200708" instead
of "/trunk" for the SVN URL to get the experimental branch.

It'd be nice if you could test it on your machine with your
subscriptions. There are several changes in layout, so although gPodder
will remember and use localDB, downloaded podcasts, etc.. the channel
list format has changed, and I've not yet written an "old channel list
importer", so you have to export your channel list like that:

$ gpodder --list | cut -f2 > subscriptions.txt

and import your channel list like this (in the experimental gPodder):

#!/bin/bash
# gpodder importer
for feed in `cat subscriptions.txt`; do
  /path/to/expermental-gpodder/bin/gpodder --local --add=$feed
done

Be sure to backup your download directory and the ~/.config/gpodder
folder somewhere before trying out the new version, or don't blame me
when something breaks.

Oh yeah: There's a new dependency for the experimental version:
python-feedparser (from www.feedparser.org or your distro); feedparser
enables gPodder to read a whole bunch of different feed formats
(including Atom) and also takes care of handling some errors feed
authors make. It will be easier to add support for other feed features
in the future, so I think utilizing feedparser will be a benefit for
gPodder.

So, go on, test the experimental version and send in some feedback (and
tell me what's broken ;).