[gpodder] Re: gPodder 3.1.1 "The Preachification of Convincing John" released

  • From: Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:20:52 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 09:57:06PM -0700, Felix Rabinovich wrote:
> I got the source (without looking much into it), ran make install
> and I noticed that there is an interesting directory on my CentOS
> server: /usr/share/gpodder/ui/web

Yes, that's just the place where the files are stored. To run it, use
"gpo webui" (to listen on localhost) or "gpo webui public" (to listen on
all network interfaces).

> Right now it doesn't work. index.html points to /static/ instead of
> current directory, and if I clean index.html - gpodder.js points to
> /json/podcasts.json which - I assume - didn't make it to the
> release.

That's generated at runtime - see above and also src/gpodder/webui/ in
the source. Right now, you will notice that it's quite ugly and very
empty in terms of features, but you can list the podcasts and the
episodes and their metadata.

> I am curious what is the plan for web front end? My situation is the
> one where such browser-based GUI would be great. I would be happy to
> contribute, or at least beta-test. It would be nice to have a forum
> (rather than mailing list) where the design for web-based UI would
> be discussed...

One idea would be the "run it on a server, manage it from the web
browser" use case. Another would be to use it (in combination with e.g.
jQuery Mobile) for a possible mobile web UI (e.g. on Android).

Help with testing, design and development would be greatly appreciated.

HTH :)