[gpodder] Re: gPodder 3.1.0 "The Discipline of D.E." released

  • From: Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 08:09:24 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 10:11:22PM -0700, Joseph Wickremasinghe wrote:
> I've updated the code to create a 'SyncTask' class which is derived
> from DownloadTask. When the synchronization process is started, a
> SyncTask object is created, registered with the download status model,
> and the download list is set to update. An entry is created in the
> downloads tab corresponding to the synchronization process, and the
> progress bar is updated as the process completes. Once the sync is
> finished, the entry is removed.

Sounds good. After we got the first working version, we should probably
refactor everything so that the classes that take care of the model are
called "progress status model" and the like instead of confusing other
developers with the old "download status model" name. But that should be
an easy search-and-replace job, and I can do it for you if you want.

> more sense for the sync process, but it seems that the better approach
> would be to rework the object model to follow a 'tasks -->downloads'
> and 'tasks -->synchronization' structure (i.e. with a base 'Task'
> class, and 'Download' and 'Synchronize' derived from it), which is
> beyond my current abilities :)

Yes, if you want, I can do that - would that work for you if you could
concentrate on rewriting it as an extension? I could also look over your
current code if you upload it somewhere (I hope you have everything in a
Git repository ;) and give you detailed feedback on every change.

> Or, (I just realized) we could have each episode being synchronized
> showing up as its own entry in the Downloads tab (rather than one
> entry for the sync process as whole), which might solve some problems,
> but might be a excessively large number of rows....?

Depending on how the final implementation looks, I could imagine either
having a single item, but extending the system to allow the code to
change the text to always show the title of the episode being currently
synchronized or having one item per synchronization.

Both variants have their advantages and disadvantages, I wonder if
anybody else on this list has any opinion on what's better? :)

> What are your priorities with regards to the 'Progress' tab and also
> rewriting this an extension? Which order should I work on them?

Whatever you'd like to do first. I'd suggest trying to rewrite this as
an extension, even if if means not having GUI progress stuff included in
the first extension version. We can then work on getting the GUI (and
CLI) ready for the progress stuff by rewriting it in such a way that it
can be accessed from extensions.