[gpodder-devel] gPodder 0.11.0 "Walking for a change makes me feel normal" released

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:44:43 +0100

Hello!

Once again, we did a great job this month making yet another great
gPodder release come true. We've reached our release goals for 0.11.0
and it is available for download from http://gpodder.org/ now.

Thanks to all who were involved in creating this release. I hope I
didn't forget anyone in the release notes. If I did, please send me a
short note.

Of course, gPodder development doesn't stop here. ?J?r?me already did a
great job adding a progress bar to the tray icon, and there were some
other minor improvements that are available in SVN trunk but have not
made it into this release.

For the next month, we plan to finally support pause/resume downloads.
See the roadmap on http://wiki.gpodder.org/roadmap for more information
about what's planned.

Enjoy!
Thomas

-- release notes follow --

As always before the end of the month, we present you yet another great
gPodder release: gPodder 0.11.0, featuring the long-awaited first
version of our tray icon support (and J?r?me is already working on some
improvements in SVN trunk). Apart from that, this release also adds an
improved, new synchronization module (which brings CLI support a'la
gpodder --sync), support for sending single episodes to your
Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices, a new, about:config-like expert
configuration editor and last but not least usability updates for the
main window. Of course, we have also fixed a bunch of bugs that were
reported in this release cycle via our bug tracker. Don't forget to look
at the new screenshots :)

You are encouraged to upgrade to this new version of gPodder. You will
find the source tarball and distribution packages on the downloads page.
Thanks to Nick (nikosapi.org) for donating a two-year domain
registration for gpodder.org. Also thanks to Paul Rudkin, who hosts
bugs.gpodder.org on his web server.

If you have any questions or problems, please see our FAQs, our Wiki or
the Mailing list. Enjoy!

Release Goals (see Roadmap)
      * System tray icon and notifications by J?r?me Chabod (#3)
      * New synchronization module: iPod, MP3 player with native
        encoding (#2)
      * Expert configuration dialog, like about:config (#10)
      * Support for Bluetooth OBEX send
      * Usability interface changes, proposed by Rafael Proen?a
New and improved features
      * Tray icon and notification (libnotify) support by J?r?me Chabod;
        initial idea by Holger Bauer (#3)
      * Support for different audio/video player selection (by Paul
        Rudkin)
      * Support for sending episodes to bluetooth devices via OBEX
      * Episode Selector is now also used for per-channel new episodes
        (#14)
      * New, modular synchronization code (iPod, MP3 players); supports
        console-only sync (gpodder --sync)
      * Pressing Enter in the add channel entry adds the channel (patch
        from Nikosapi)
      * Make feed update display "Loading" titles, only run auto update
        when minimized (UI change; by Nikosapi)
      * Usability GUI update (after Rafael Proen?a's proposal)
      * New hotkeys: Ctrl+L (Add new channel); Ctrl+D (hide/show episode
        descriptions); Ctrl+T (hide/show toolbar)
      * Episode description and episode title in one column (suggested
        by narf at inode.at)
      * NLS encoding support for MP3 player synchronization; from gdfs
        (by Leonid Ponomarev)
      * Support buggy OPML feeds, notify user on OPML import (support
        "url" instead of "xmlUrl" attribute)
      * new "expert" configuration editor (about:config-like) (#10)
      * Automatically check for new episodes in background (by Nikosapi)
      * Updated translations: German, Dutch (Pieter De Decker), Russian
        (Leonid Ponomarev), Czech (Ondrej Vesely), Swedish (Anders
        Kvist) and French (J?r?me Chabod)
Code changes
      * Modularize calls to gobject.idle_add (for non-GTK support)
      * New makefile target: make releasetest (automated pre-release
        tests)
      * Output pretty-printed OPML when saving channels list (by
        Nikosapi)
Bug fixes
      * Fix problems in gpodder.desktop file; validates now (thanks G?tz
        Waschk for reporting)
      * Fix a bug in the file size calculation, reported by FriedBunny
        (#23)
      * Fix bug in file_modification_datetime (thanks to FriedBunny)
      * Fix sync track length detection (thanks to Paul Rudkin and
        FriedBunny, #29)
      * Fix bug with MP3 player synchronization file name encodings;
        reported by Bernd Schlapsi (#34)
Thanks
      * Anders Kvist: Swedish translation update
      * Bernd Schlapsi: Bug report for MP3 player synchronization
      * FriedBunny: Bug reports for file size calculation,
        modification_datetime and track length detection
      * G?tz Waschk: Bug report for gpodder.desktop file
      * Holger Bauer: Initial idea for the tray icon (from the TODO
        list)
      * J?r?me Chabod: Lots of work done; maintains tray icon and
        notifications integration; French translation update
      * Leonid Ponomarev: NLS encoding support for MP3 player
        synchronization; Russian translation
      * narf at inode.at: Suggest merging episode title and episode
        description in 1 column
      * Nick (nikosapi): "Press Enter" patch; feed update title fix;
        automatic feed update when minimized; pretty-print OPML output
      * Ondrej Vesely: Czech translation update
      * Paul Rudkin: Support for different audio/video players; sync
        track length detection
      * Pieter De Decker: Dutch translation update
      * Rafael Proen?a: UI usability suggestions, mock-ups and
        discussion
Donations
      * Nick (nikosapi) has donated a two-year registration of
        gpodder.org
      * Paul Rudkin hosts the Bugzilla installation on bugs.gpodder.org
      * Want to motivate gPodder development? Send a nice book!