[gpodder-devel] feature proposition

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:09:33 +0100

Hello Mathis,

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:15:21 +0100 Mathis Dirksen-Thedens wrote:
> I think gPodder is a great tool for keeping up on the latest audio
> and video podcasts, and I consider making it my default podcatcher.
> One major drawback is that gPodder does not link itself into the
> tray. There are many good programs that have certain features
> regarding the notification area or tray:

Nick wrote in an E-Mail from 2007-01-25:

"I use gpodder with alltray (on FC6: yum install alltray), it does
almost what you want. It'll minimize gpodder to the tray (I've yet to
try it on gnome but it works great on KDE) and when you're downloading
files you can hover over the icon and it'll display the percentage done.
Once you have it installed get it working like this: "alltray gpodder"
That's it, type it into your run box or terminal and watch it work!"

> (1) it is possible to start the program minimized to the tray, so no
> window shows up on the task bar, but the program is accessible via
> its tray icon

Should work with alltray.

> (2) the tray icon indicates the status (downloading, new podcasts
> available, idle...)

Might only be implemented in gPodder directly (or by setting the
application-wide icon).

> (3) if the program window is open, a click on the window's close
> button in the top right corner does not close the program totally,
> but resets it to the "minimized in tray only" status described in (1)

Don't know if this is possible with alltray, but again - if we would
implement trayicon support directly in gPodder, we'd have the
possibility to do so.

I don't know if trayicon support is in PyGTK already. If I'm going to
implement tray icon support, I want to do it in an easy and
uncomplicated manner from within PyGTK if possible :)

Any hints and patches welcome!

Enjoy.