[gpodder-devel] Wishlist

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:38:18 +0200

Hello, Paul!

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 10:42 +0100, Paul Elliott wrote:
> I'll begin by thanking Tom (and any other contributors) for adding the
> queue support to gPodder. It makes downloading podcasts at home much
> more enjoyable!

I'm glad you like it :)

> Now for some more wishlist items for you to ponder...
>
> - Please could the timeout on updating the feed cache be reduced? I
> currently have 27 feeds in gPodder and if one of the RSS feeds is down
> for whatever reason, it takes a long, long time before it continues to
> check the other feeds. I think a timeout of 10 seconds is reasonable.

That would be neat, yes. I'm also thinking of parallel-updating the
feeds. Added to TODO list.

> - Is it possible to sort the Channel list by alphabetical order, or to
> add this as a preference? An 'All Channels' and 'Unplayed Channels'
> would also be useful, showing all podcasts and all unplayed podcasts
> respectively.

An "All Channels"/"Unplayed Channels" view is in the works, there are
still some open questions, but it will (hopefully) be done in one of the
next versions.

For the alphabetical order of the channel list: added to TODO list.

> - Could you add an option for filesystem MP3 player synchronisation to
> not use folders, my device doesn't support folders so I have to copy
> the files back out?

Yes, should be possible - as an option. Added to TODO list.

> - I listen to 99% of my podcasts on my MP3 player and vary rarely from
> inside gPodder so it would be very useful if you could add an option
> to automatically mark all synchronised podcasts as played. Currently I
> need to synchronise and then go through each episode and mark it as
> played.

Would be another sync option, but not very difficult to implement. But,
do you really use the played/unplayed status in gPodder when you don't
use gPodder to listen to podcasts? Anyway, added to TODO list.

> - Add that patch to reduce the polling of the download queue view, on
> my dual opteron box gPodder hangs the system when updating a large
> number of episodes over our 2Gb Internet link.

Already included in the last SVN version. Just "svn up" or wait for the
next release :)

> Absolutely love gPodder BTW - it's come leaps and bounds since the
> earlier releases. I much much prefer the new split channel/episode
> view. Keep up the good work!

I'm glad you like it :) Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.