[gpodder] Re: 'Uncaught exception' after migrating from 2 to 3

  • From: Thomas Perl <th.perl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 08:32:13 +0100

Hi,

On 2014-01-30 00:31, Dov Feldstern wrote:
I'm finally migrating from gpodder 2 to 3 (on my desktop, so no cuatro
as far as I understand?),

Yes, although you can use cuatro/gpodder-core if you just want the command-line UI. Or you can use gpodder-ui-qml in combination with gpodder-core to get a (incomplete, broken) UI. This is still a work in progress, gPodder 3 is much nicer for Desktop use (I personally also use gPodder 3 on the Desktop), and is quite stable. I plan to do another gPodder 3 release with all the good stuff that has accumulated in Git sometime soon.

and when starting up gpodder3 after running
the migration, I ran into the following uncaught exception (which
aborted gpodder):
[...]
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

The attached patch fixed it for me, but I'm not sure if it isn't
covering up a deeper problem. (If anyone is interested in trying to
understand the cause, I have the original version-2 database which is
causing the problem.) Once gpodder 3 started up once with the patch,
the patch is no longer even needed (i.e., the database has been
cleaned up).

Thanks, merged your patch here:
http://gpodder.org/commit/fa2104de

This situation can happen when the state of the file is gpodder.STATE_DOWNLOADED (i.e. marked as downloaded in the database), but no episode filename exists. Your fix is fine, I just reworded it a bit now after pushing it to the repository to not add "None" to the known files set:
http://gpodder.org/commit/7ad84179