[gpodder-devel] Two Problems with gpodder

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 20:17:03 +0200

Hello, Juergen!

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 12:59 +0200, Juergen.Schinker wrote:
> hm i never leave the path of the distribution so i'm stuck with 0.9
> and i need an importfunktion where i can import the channels.xml

Just file a bug report in Gentoo's Bugzilla - they should update to the
newest version. As I already mentioned - the build process hasn't
changed. Bumping the version in the ebuild (and maybe adding a line for
gtk-update-icon-cache) should get you going. Don't know enough about
Gentoo's ebuilds to do it for you, though..

If there is a bug in the latest upstream version, it's upstream's
responsibility to fix the bug - if it's a bug in a packaged version,
it's the distribution's responsibility to fix the bug for two reasons:

- The distribution might have applied patches to the vanilla tarball
- The distribution might not have packaged the newest upstream version

You can always install gPodder in "/usr/local" - that's what it's here
for (packages installed by the sysadmin and not managed by the packaging
system).

> btw i could not import the opml from gpodder in Thunderbird maybe dif
> versions?

AFAIK it's standard OPML format. The format might have been changed
since the feature was implemented in gPodder, though..

> Updating behind a VPN is a drama do i need a Special MRU/MTU and MSS
> or how is gpodder fetching his updates?

gPodder is using GNU wget for fetching updates and podcasts. You might
want to enable/disable some wget tweaks in your wgetrc. But basically,
it should not be a problem even on a VPN connection.

Enjoy,