[gpodder-devel] Translators: Please update your translations

  • From: jspaleta at gmail.com (Jeff Spaleta)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:43:13 -0900

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Thomas Perl <thp at gpodder.org> wrote:
> That sounds nice. Is it possible to set up translations for gPodder
> on the translate.fedoraproject.org or some other server? How would the
> translators be able to update their translations then? Simply register
> an account on translate.fedoraproject.org and edit the translation files
> via a web-based interface?

I'm a stupid american, so I've avoided having to know the details.

https://translate.fedoraproject.org/submit/translators/info
I believe a Fedora account is involved to sign up as part of the
translating community but beyond that I'm not aware of any enforced
workflow. Translations flow directly into the upstream project
repositories as commits, they don't sit around inside Fedora
controlled space.

The basic idea is that transifex is trying to build a community of
translators across all languages for any open project to leverage.
Individuals sign-on to a language team. Those teams work on
translating many applications for a specific language.  You as a
application developer only have to list your application as a module
into transifex to potentially benefit from that work.

This may or may not be the sort of thing you are interested
participating in. And of course none of your existing translators are
forced to be part of the transifex community even if you list gpodder
there. I'm pretty sure you can continue to take translations from
external translators, allowing transifex to commit into your source
repository in its own branch doesn't preclude other people from doing
it alongside transifex. You'd just have to figure out how to merge
conflicting commits.

I would of course encourage your existing translators to look at
joining the transifex community as well so then can make their
abilities available to many applications. But as far as I am aware
there is absolutely no requirement that they do so, even if gpodder
gets listed.

-jef