[gpodder-devel] Sync to iPod with empty 'episode' field

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 23:01:33 +0200

Hello, Wilfred!

On Sun, 2007-08-12 at 16:50 -0700, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:
> > Seems obvious. The only unique string I can derive
> > on a per-episode basis from _every_ RSS podcast is a hash of the URL.
> > This makes the file names unreadable in standard directory browsers
> > (that's how gPodder stores the episodes in its download directory, btw).
>
> I don't read the file name, so some md5 string would
> be fine with me.

Ok, I've implemented this in the current svn trunk head, please check
out the svn version of gPodder (see the gPodder-devel mailing list
archives for a guide on how to do it). You can then run the SVN version
of gPodder with "make test" in the checked out working copy. If all
works well, gPodder should sync with md5-hashed filenames, based on the
URL of the episode.

Tell me if this works for you now!

> > To be honest, this is a bug that the RSS feed author
> > should fix (I mean, empty episode titles...HELLO?!), but if we find a
> > nice, hack-ish workaround, I might be ready to commit it to our
> > codebase :)
>
> Okay, I'll send then an email about this.

That would be really helpful, as it's better to have working podcasts
than to come up with many client-side fixes for problems that are
related to a malformed (or odd-structured) RSS file.