[gpodder-devel] Survey: What's your gPodder workflow?

  • From: apblist at speakeasy.net (Andy Busch)
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 11:36:27 -0500

>  * How often do you check for new episodes? Manual or automatically?
I start it once a day and it grabs new things automatically then.  I
intend to set it as a cron job using --run in the near future.

>  * To how many channels are you currently subscribed to?
about 45.  Mostly audio, but there are a couple video, and a couple that
feed both (most often the Real Time with Bill Maher one).

>  * Do you leave your episodes in gPodder or export them using "save as"?
I sync them to my iPod and then delete them from gPodder.

>  * Do you use the iPod/MP3 player or Bluetooth sync feature? With what?
I sync to an iPod video that I also use with gtkpod.

>  * Have you written custom scripts/utilities to fix gPodder annoyances?
Nope.  They keep getting fixed before I get to figuring out Python.

>  * Have you had problems with some feeds? (missing pubdate, length,...)
The Onion Radio News (http://feeds.theonion.com/theonion/radionews)
sometimes cuts short on the iPod.  It usually only cuts out the ad at
the end, so I haven't bothered finding out where the problem is.

>  * Are you using other podcast-related services that could be integrated
>    into gPodder but currently aren't?
Nope.

>  * Have you been using gPodders ogg-to-mp3 conversion feature for iPods?
None of the ones I listen to are in ogg.

>  * Are you running the SVN version of gPodder or which released version?
A fairly recent SVN.

The only two things that are still a little fussy for me are download
throttling and gtkpod-related syncing.

I tried throttling my download to 40kb/s and three at once to not choke
my system.  But then when I'm down to the last one or two, it would be
nice if it could speed back up.  Maybe this was recently fixed, so I
hope I'm not putting my foot in my mouth.

Also, this is more of a gtkpod issue, but I use the extended database in
gtkpod, so it has to check the SHA hashes of my files after I sync with
gPodder.  This eats up a good bit of time.  I could disable it, but it
would be nice if there was a way to make the two apps trust each other.

Thanks again.  I am consistently impressed with gPodder.  It's come a
long way very quickly.

Andy