[gpodder-devel] Survey: What's your gPodder workflow?

  • From: mattlbaker at gmail.com (matt baker)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:26:14 -0700

 * How often do you check for new episodes? Manual or automatically?

Twice a week I open up gpodder and manually select update feeds.

 * To how many channels are you currently subscribed to?

21

 * Do you leave your episodes in gPodder or export them using "save as"?

I leave them in gpodder.

 * Do you use the iPod/MP3 player or Bluetooth sync feature? With what?

Yes I use an ipod.  About once a week I plug in my ipod and sync.  I
leave the episodes on my computer and on my ipod.  I delete the
episodes that I have listened to in gpodder.

 * Have you written custom scripts/utilities to fix gPodder annoyances?

no

 * Have you had problems with some feeds? (missing pubdate, length,...)

Yes, I had a problem with one feed.  It just started working one day.
They must have fixed it.

 * Are you using other podcast-related services that could be integrated
 into gPodder but currently aren't?

no

 * Have you been using gPodders ogg-to-mp3 conversion feature for iPods?

no

 * Are you running the SVN version of gPodder or which released version?
I use the current fedora version.  0.10.4

Gpodder works great for me!  Having said that here are some minor
things that I feel would most improve my gpodder experience.  If they
were never completed I would still be happy.  Thank you for your hard
work.

1) As I said above I download podcast episodes to gpodder and then
sync to my ipod.  Lets say I listen to an episode before my next sync.
 When I sync the next time I see the episode show up as played in
gpodder.  I delete the episode in gpodder, but it stays on my ipod.
After a month or two I use gtkpod to remove all podcasts from my ipod
and then I sync all the unplayed ones back on to the ipod with
gpodder.  I'm sure its been suggested, but it would be nice if syncing
deleted podcast episodes off the ipod.

2) A minor issue is when I first add a feed to gpodder, I usually
download all the episodes.  In the episode list I select all and then
click the download button.  It seems to take a while to add all the
episodes to the download tab.

I just queued up 100 episodes to download from a podcast.  It took 2.5
min on my fast computer.  When I had my older 1ghz computer It would
take about 6 min to queue up the downloads.

3) The last minor issue is startup time.  I was using a 1ghz computer
and the startup time seemed really long.  Now I'm using a faster
computer so the startup time is better.

4) Ok.  I thought of one more.  The update file metadata feature is
really cool, but for one of my podcasts it did not work very well.  I
believe the mp3 came with correct tag information, but the update file
metadata feature overwrote the correct tag with blanks.  You might
consider not overwriting the fields if what you are going to write is
a blank.

Thanks!
Matt