[gpodder-devel] Status update from the gPodder land

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:07:16 -0700

Hello there!

As some of you might have noticed, there was some Bugzilla activity
today. I've done a quick summer clean-up of all the open bug reports
and had a look what is still relevant in the current version.

For some bugs where I need testing with the current version or that
I think can be closed but wasn't sure, I've made a short comment. If
you received such a bug mail, please take the time to test it with
the latest version in the Git repository - this really helps getting
things forward and not spending time analyzing and working on bugs
that have already been fixed.

Also, some bugs unfortunately had to be closed WONTFIX due to my
limited time. There are three main reasons, mostly described in the
closing comment:

  * Support for devices I don't have (iPods and MTP devices)
  * Niche and exotic feature requests
  * "Ugly"/non-standard feeds

Support for iPods and MTP devices (and FS-based MP3 players, of course)
will stay in gPodder, I do NOT plan to remove these for obvious reasons.
What it means that I won't be able to fix bugs that are related to some
libgpod or libmtp library messing with your data - patches are of course
gladly accepted, and I'll try to help wherever I can - get in touch!

I've also merged some reports that can be fixed in one big step, mostly
by rewriting a larger component in gPodder (e.g. the download folder
management or the episode dialog).

Some code changes in the last few weeks have ripped out some
configuration
options or even minor features (like proxy support). Most of these
features were not really polished or complete, so removing them and
replacing them with either external tools that are more suited for the
job (like a local proxy server that you can configure to your liking) is
surely the way to go, in order to be able to devote more time to make
the
gPodder core application more stable and polished.

If you want to get back your favourite feature that I have just ripped
out
of the codebase without asking anybody, feel free to do so, but be
prepared
to submit a nice patch with a clean implementation :)

Some good news at this already-quite-long mail: There have been some
fixes
and improvements (multiple file playback FTW!) in the codebase as well,
so
expect some experimental release goodness really soon now.

Feedback, as always, welcome.