[gpodder-devel] Standalone Conversion Tool: channels.xml to channels.opml

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:07:01 +0100

Hello, Lofton!

Lofton H Alley wrote:
> Sorry, but it's not doing it. Before I run through the remove and
> reinstall routine I thought I'd just double-check with you.
>
> I removed both the 0.9.5 through the uninstaller in the package (make
> uninstall) and the 0.10.1 through the synaptic "complete removal" tool,
> then trashed the ~/.config.gpodder file and double checked
> the /usr/local files for anything lurking there, there appeared to be
> nothing.
>
> Then, since I had synaptic running, i reinstalled 0.10.1 from synaptic.
> This is the only deviation from your instructions, but it should not
> have been a problem I thought. I had the .deb package on my desktop, and
> still do, so I could re- from there without trouble still of course.
>
> Finally, i started up and loaded your .opml from Berlios with the
> starter podcast subscriptions. Everything was fine up to there and
> gpodder recognized teh downloads from the previous install and informed
> as much.
>
> Then I started to add my other feeds, about 16 or 18 of them.
>
> This is where the unhappiness started. The first two or three loaded
> without trouble,but then nothing else would add. This is to say it
> accepted them, if they were ones I already had downloads for then it
> would tell me that the downloads were current, if it was new then it
> would offer to download the new episode, but nothing new would appear in
> the channel pane even though the list in the episode pane would be
> populated and marked for download.
>
> It was bedtime so I closed it and went to bed. This morning I started it
> again and it opens, freezes and has to be forced to close. There is
> nothing in either pane, none of the controls respond at all.
>
> So....I am ready to reinstall with my Dled version after another
> removal, but await your suggestions first.

If possible, please send the Feed URLs of the podcast channels that
don't work for you. Maybe one of the channels needs "special treatment",
is buggy or makes some silent bug in gPodder come up.

After that, please try as you suggested above. Also, you might want to
start gPodder directly from the SVN version, see this URL for
instructions on how to get gPodder SVN running:

    http://gpodderwiki.jottit.com/running-from-svn

The "running from svn" method does not need gPodder to be installed, it
will be run directly from the SVN checkout directory. Of course, this
means that you have to install the packages that provide the Subversion
client (in Debian and Ubuntu, that's "subversion").

Good luck!