[gpodder-devel] Sample post processing script to convert videos after download

  • From: watsoncj at gmail.com (Casey Watson)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:28:05 -0700

I've whipped up this little script to convert downloaded videos into a
format that is supported by my IAUDIO X5(L). It's still got some gaps
in it but it does take away some of the manual process of getting
video's onto my player. While I'm not sure that this is the intended
direction for the gPodder application, it might make a nice addition
to the gPodderWiki.

You can download it here:
http://www.casedogdesigns.com/gpodder_convert_video/

The script uses the post download hook by setting the advanced
configuration variable "cmd_download_complete" to the
gpodder_download_complete script.

Once the download is complete the movie is converted onto the desktop.
A zenity progress bar is shown while the conversion takes place.
Ideally, the new file could replace the original in gPodder so the
user would need to manually copy the file to their device, but this
requires changing the file extension and I haven't found a clean way
of doing this. So, for now the video must be manually put onto your
player.

Anyway, I think its a good starting point. It should be able to
support video types for other devices by changing the mencoder
parameters in the convert_video script.

Let me know if you find it useful or end up making any changes.

--
Casey Watson
watsoncj at gmail.com