[gpodder] Pull request for playlists & two-way sync submitted

  • From: Joseph Wickremasinghe <jnwickremasinghe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 00:38:42 -0800 (PST)

Thomas & all,

I finally submitted the pull request for playlists & two-way syncing. Sorry it
too me longer than expected - I didn't do enough analysis before starting and
didn't realize that episode deletion happened asynchronously, so had to rewrite
some of the code once I figured that out :( However, everything is done now and
it's working well for me.

I also found a bug in the sync code which I fixed in this update. I was
inadvertently enabling 'update download list' in the syncing thread rather than
the main UI thread, which was causing gtk warnings on occasion :( I can
separate that out if necessary - it was only a single line fix.

Currently one playlist is created for each feed that is marked for
synchronization, in date order, so that the playlist will play episodes in the
order that they were released. The playlists are updated automatically each
time the feeds are synced.

If the 'Remove episodes delete from the device' option is checked, gPodder will
compare the episodes on the device with the playlist and assume any episodes
that are missing have been deleted. gPodder will then (using the episode
selector dialog) show a list of these episodes and allow the user to confirm
which are to be deleted (any, all or none). Any episodes which the user does
not delete will in fact be immediately synced back to the device during the
sync process.

The 'Only sync unplayed episodes' works as expected, however the 'Mark episodes
for deletion' (after syncing) could cause problems if it's enabled as well as
two-way syncing. I thought I could address that in a separate update though if
necessary. I can also work on the 'Master customizable playlist' (using the
episode selector dialog) once this feature has been merged into the master
branch.

Anyway, please let me know your comments.

Joseph