[gpodder-devel] Proposed ipod syncing changes

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 06:51:55 -0700

Shane wrote:
> I am interested in doing some development work on gPodder.

Always good to see some people interested in helping out :)

> I thought I would have a go at making a patch to mark episodes as
> played in gPodder when they are fully played on an iPod and as an
> option delete from the database as per bug #402.  From playing with
> libgpod it seems relatively straightforward, and from my usage I think
> it will allow more natural syncing of the gPodder and ipod episode
> lists.
>
> Does this conflict with any other plans or does anyone have additional
> suggestions on how this should work?  I am hoping to post an initial
> patch in the next few days.

No, apart from the fact that maybe you should display a confirmation
dialog to the user before really deleting files. Deleting user files is
always a tricky thing, and in my opinion should never be fully automated
(at least not with the default settings).

Apart from that, It would be nice if you could make it to work. Ideally,
this should also be made to work with iPods in Rockbox-mode (there is
some code already in there that gets the playcount for files).

Feel free to drop by at #gpodder on FreeNode if you need additional
assistance or just use this mailing list for open questions. Please post
discussions about your patch and the patch itself directly as attachment
to the bug report, so we have an easier way of tracking the progress.

Thanks,
Thomas