[gpodder-devel] Popup menu string translations (was: Re: gPodder 0.11.1 release stabilization phase; call for translations)

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:54:59 +0100

Hello!

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 16:24 +0300, hex wrote:
> Just a question.  Would that be possible to omit channel / episode
> names from the pop-up menu?   It is almost always truncated, adds no
> signal but a lot of noise.  Wouldn't that be simplier to just have
>
> This would be easier to read (imho), but not only.  In English, you
> only need to add "s" to numbers greater than 1 ("2 episodes", "192
> episodes"), but in Russian this is more complex and, with the current
> schema, results in ugly strings which are not 100% correct Russian.
> Maybe that's just my lack of knowledge of the gettext internals, but
> still, having too much details in the pop-up menu just makes it look
> messy.

I thought about this some time ago, because I had a hard time spotting
the correct popup menu item, because the title indeed adds a lot of
noise. When I initially did this, I thought it was a good idea, but I
see your point now. I would like to keep the multiple selection actions
(i.e. "transfer 2 selected episodes to iPod") but I think I can make it
so that we get the following translatable strings:

 "Transfer this episode to %s" (i.e. iPod)
 "Transfer %d episodes to %s" (i.e. 4, iPod)
 "Play this episode" (or simply: "Play"?)
 "Play %d selected episodes" (i.e. 2)
 "Mark this episode as played"
 "Mark %d selected episodes as played" (i.e. 5)

Would this work? What do you think?