[gpodder] Re: Podcast URL normalization

  • From: Thomas Perl <th.perl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 20:45:09 +0200

On 2014-04-27 12:17, Kevin Hausmann wrote:
On 26 April 2014 20:11, Stefan Kögl<koeglstefan@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>At some point in time those two URLs were stored as two distinct podcasts in
>the gpodder.net database. Such duplications are currently detected manually,
>and are then merged. One of the URLs is picked as the canonical one, and
>will then be returned by the API.
Thomas, Stefan, thanks for your replies. That was exactly what I
feared your answer to be.
Can I get a dump of the database table that defines the "canonical"
podcast URL and the aliases? Both to get a feeling for how many
podcast we are talking about and to (at least potentially) include the
rewrite for the most common ones in my app? That would be great.

These rewrites are really podcast-specific, so it's not like there's some generic rules that you could integrate into your client. While I don't have any hard numbers on how many aliases we have, it's not something you would want to (or even can) ship with your application (also, it will be outdated by the time you ship your application, as the list is constantly updated).

Just use the API, that's what it's here for. A database dump is not available and not the way to go here. If you have subscription sync, you upload the newly-added subscriptions and get - in the reply - the canonical URL back (if it's different from the added one), and update your local database to have the canonical URL instead of the alias one.

HTH :)