[gpodder] Re: Playlists & two-way device synching - update

  • From: Thomas Perl <th.perl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:41:19 +0100

Hi,

2012/11/18 Bernd Schlapsi <brot@xxxxxxxx>:
> There are plans in the (hopefully near) future to switch/upgrade gPodder
> to GTK3. So you have to - as far I know - use an GTK3 based desktop
> (Unity, Gnome3, Mint,..) to use the latest version of gPodder. But at
> the moment it's not sure when someone finds the time to port to GTK3.

Yes, there are plans. The problem right now is that Windows and
PyGObject Introspection (which is required for Gtk 3) don't work so
well the last time I checked. One option would be to duplicate the
current Gtk 2 codebase and offer "two" Gtk UIs (one Gtk2 based on
PyGtk and one Gtk3 based on GObject Introspection - we could switch
between them the same way we now switch between QML and Gtk). There's
even the old "tres-gtk3" branch on Git, which is a first try I once
did trying to convert the codebase to use Gtk3.

When the switch to Gtk3 happens, you still don't need a "GTK3-based
Desktop", all you need is Gtk 3 and Python GObject Introspection. The
nice thing about that will be that we'll get Python 3 support "for
free" in terms of the Gtk UI (PyGTK doesn't support Python 3, Python
GObject Introspection does).