[gpodder-devel] Performance issues

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:24:40 +0100

Hello, hex!

hex wrote:
> On 1/10/08, hex <justin.forest at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using version 0.10.3 in Ubuntu Gutsy and the performance is
>> ridiculously bad.  I have 6 feeds, 3 of them have less than 20 episodes, 3
>> others have more than a hundred each.
>>
>> When gPodder starts, it updates all channels, that's ok even if that's
>> slow and takes all CPU.  When I double-click a channel, then just hit
>> "Cancel" (or the [X] button), it updates them all again.  Even when I select
>> one episode and click "Download...", it still updates all feeds.  This is
>> very inconvenient and slow.
>>
>> I ran `time gpodder -v 2>&1 >gpodder.log`, which I attach to this message.
>>  The messages are not too descriptive and there are no timestamps, but
>> basically, there's 881 message starting with "Loading downloaded episodes".
>>  There is zero network activity during these loadings, but the CPU is at
>> 100%.
>>
>> The output (of `time`) was, excluding an exception-during-shutdown
>> warning:
>>
>> real    0m38.423s
>> user    0m32.278s
>> sys     0m0.952s
>>
>> This is, again, (1) launching gpodder, (2) selecting a new episode when
>> the list becomes available, (3) clicking the "download" button on the
>> toolbar, and (4) clicking the "exit" button as soon as it becomes
>> available.  38 seconds on a Pentium 4 (Celeron) 1.7GHz with nothing else
>> running in the background.

I've did the same here with gPodder SVN trunk and get different results
on a 2GHz Core Duo:

thp at macbook:~/src/gpodder$ time make test 2>&1 >gpodder.log

real    1m10.093s
user    0m4.392s
sys     0m0.580s

Can you please try the SVN trunk version of gPodder and see if this
works better?

Instructions: http://gpodderwiki.jottit.com/running-from-svn