[gpodder-devel] Non-human readable directory and file names

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:26:04 +0100

Hello, Pieter!

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 15:54 +0100, Pieter De Decker wrote:
> I have tested the patch though. It works smooth as far as I can tell.

Great :) I still have to find out how to run an "open folder" action in
a pythonified and cross-platform way, so it works without Gnome and even
on Windows (i.e. KDE people would want konqueror, XFCE people thunar,
Windows people Explorer, GNUStep people GWorkspace, ...). Maybe I'll
post a blog entry that will be published on PlanetPython, there are
knowledgeable Python people there, any maybe such a thing already exists
somewhere out there.

> I also tried to run the Python script you attached to your mail. But
> then this happened:
>
> -----
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "describe_gpodder_downloads.py", line 5, in <module>
>     import gpodder.libpodcasts
>   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gpodder/libpodcasts.py",
> line
> 36, in <module>
>     import libgpodder
>   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gpodder/libgpodder.py", line
> 72, in <module>
>     from librssreader import rssReader
>   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gpodder/librssreader.py",
> line
> 38, in <module>
>     from libpodcasts import podcastChannel
> ImportError: cannot import name podcastChannel
> -----
>
> Am I supposed to run this script in gPodder's SVN directory? I have
> got an older version of gPodder installed on my system (v0.9.5, to be
> exact). I'm guessing that it doesn't work because you recently
> restructured some of your libraries. Is this true?

True indeed. Try placing the script in "src/", relative to the SVN
checkout root. Alternatively (this is what I did), run it like this:

PYTHONPATH=/path/to/gpodder/src/ python describe_gpodder_downloads.py

As you see when looking at the script, the "gpodder" python module isn't
completely usable as a module yet, but the re-organization done in
0.10.0 is a huge step towards a "gpodder" library that can be used from
scripts :) Another item on the TODO list, but very cool when we done =)