[gpodder] Re: Native Android port of gPodder

  • From: Thomas Perl <m@xxxxxx>
  • To: Sameera Bandara <sameera.hasitha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 19:39:15 +0100

Hi,

(Please note that you should subscribe to this mailing list, otherwise
we would have to approve every single message that you send - thanks :)

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 02:59:55PM +0530, Sameera Bandara wrote:
> I'm Sameera Bandara, Computer Science and Engineering undergraduate of
> University of Moratuwa. I'm interested in Native Android port of gPodder
> mentioned in your idea list for GSOC 2012.

Thank you for your interest - having a native Android client of gPodder
would be awesome!

> I have previous experience in Android application development during
> my internship and university projects.

Are there any Android applications/projects that you worked on and can
refer to?

> As a start up I decided to go through existing code and run
> gPodder in Android  SL4A to experience current state. Any suggestions ??

Yes, that would be a good idea. For best results, try a recent Git
checkout of gPodder (git://github.com/gpodder/gpodder) and read the
README file (there are lots of helpful hints in there, e.g. you can use
the script tools/localdepends.py to grab all Python module
dependencies).

For getting started, I think you should have a look at starting the Web
UI and opening it in the Android web browser. The Web UI can be started
from the "gpo" command line utility using "webui", e.g. "gpo webui".

HTH :)