[gpodder-devel] Multiple message boxes

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:34:55 +0200

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:26:43 -0700
Tim Ashman <tim at ashmans.net> wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2008 06:01:59 am Thomas Perl wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 01:03:46 +0400
> > "Justin Forest" <justin.forest at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How about going without error dialogs at all?  There can be an
> > > extra column in the Downloads tab, which would show one of two
> > > icons: (1) ICON_DOWNLOADING for active downloads, like in episode
> > > lists, and (2) a stop sign or something for downloads with errors
> > > (and maybe a short description of the error would be show where
> > > the progress bar is). The failed downloads would stay there, to
> > > be either restarted or cancelled manually.
> >
> > I'd like to hear some more comments about this from other people -
> > please state your preference and opinion, so I don't have to make an
> > educated guess :p
>
> I would like this.  I would also like a way to flag a particular
> piece of content as "don't bother again"  I have a feed where one of
> the specific episodes is broken, the others keep downloading fine,
> however everytime I update I have to uncheck the download box for
> this episode or wait until the end and clear an error message I've
> seen 10 times and counting.

You can click in the episode list on the episode and chose to not ask
for it to be downloaded again. This will probably fix your problem.

As to adding the info to the list, I don't know - wouldn't that make
some users unaware that some error happened, because it only appear in
the downloads tab? From what I learned from the User Test in May this
year, some users even had problems realizing that there was a
"Downloads" tab there, because theoretically, you don't have to know
about it right now - you can show the progress in the episode dialog
window, too.

Of course, this function would be nice for re-starting downloads. Maybe
have the message box but also keep the episode in the downloads list in
that case? What do you think?