[gpodder-devel] MTP devices synchronisation?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:00:14 +0100

Hello!

J?r?me Chabod wrote:
> Do you plan for a future release to synchronize MTP devices.
> I have to use another program (gnomad2) in order to synchronize the file
> on my Samsung YPU3, but before that, I must use the trick of
> synchronisation to the file system in order to obtain readable file
> names. It a lot of operation to perform, the implementation of MTP
> synchronisation would ease the process a lot.
>
> Note: gnomad2 uses the libmtp C library. I don't now if it's something
> easy to use a C library within python.

I only have a crufty old iPod mini, which works fine with iPod
synchronization, although gPodder already depends on contributions and
patches from other people for more advanced features (video
synchronization, the "blue dot" for unplayed podcasts, ..). You have to
understand that my limited amount of free time spent on gPodder is
integrating features and patches and improving the codebase to be more
stable. I'm also slowly implementing some features that better fit my
lifestyle nowadays (all podcasts are listened to on my iPod from/to
university and I rarely keep episodes around after I listened to them).

That said, if you really want to have MTP support, you should try to get
your hands dirty on writing Python code, gPodder's codebase isn't that
hard to understand, and we'll be always glad to help you here on this
mailing list if you have questions. Another option would be to donate a
MTP device to some developer who has time and interest in implementing
this because they want to get their device working.

I'll gladly accept patches and help anyone find their way around the
gPodder source code if someone's going to try their luck on a MTP device
synchronization "plug-in". Maybe you don't even need that, but can
mash-up pylibmtp with gdfs (gdfs can be found in "doc/dev/" in our
subversion repository).

Other than that, integrating new "synchronization interfaces" should be
easier with the new sync code I'm currently working on, which should get
rid of some poor design decisions I made in libipodsync.py in 2006 :)