[gpodder] Re: Introduction and first questions

  • From: Benjamin Blatter <b.blatter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 16:06:40 +0200

Hi! Sorry about that, guess I'm a bit dense sometimes. Now I got it :-)
thx Ben

Am 04.09.2014 14:30, schrieb Thomas Perl:
Hi! Thanks for your reply. Do I need to run this Gitup in order to use the
fix, or can I find a windows executable version?
As said in the previous mail, you can either wait for an update to be
released (those happen ~ every 2 months at the current rate and are
usually announced on this mailing list) or use the following URL for
subscribing, which already works in the current version:

https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/users/CHANNELNAME/uploads

(where CHANNELNAME is replaced with the channel ID you would like to
subscribe to, e.g. UChMEslRQz0YwbfkHrfmS5Wg)

HTH :)
Thomas

Am 04.09.2014 11:33, schrieb Thomas Perl:

Hi,

1. I tried your instructions for the CLI. Can GPodder sub to channel
feeds,
which become more and more standard? I tried these random urls:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChMEslRQz0YwbfkHrfmS5Wg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP3ZuzdUj6wVHH9aycBzP7g
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC64YU-V7FEvLWCPwXyqDGOA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-KrQxio9BE5l9sTAIA5TA

But I get unknown feed type errors.
I wrote par example "sub(of course the full word)
yt:UChMEslRQz0YwbfkHrfmS5Wg", and then the same with the complete url.
This should work now with the version from Git, it's fixed here:

http://gpodder.org/commit/312cd863

Until the new version comes out (which will include this fix), you can
subscribe to the feed using this URL (the fix from above basically
transforms all YouTube feeds into this):

https://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/users/UChMEslRQz0YwbfkHrfmS5Wg/uploads

2. Would it be easy to add support for filenames containing unicode like
russian or japanese language? Like this url:
http://www.youtube.com/user/7Tiphs
Courently every such symbol/letter becomes a _ (underline) in the
downloaded
file, like in ITunes.
"It depends". On Linux using UTF-8 as the filesystem encoding, it will
probably work. On Windows, it might depend on your Windows version and
on your locale. The function that does the transformation of the
filename is "sanitize_filename" in util.py. In model.py, there's a
section called "Use title for YouTube, Vimeo and Soundcloud downloads"
- if you replace the line "sanitized =
util.sanitize_filename(self.title, self.MAX_FILENAME_LENGTH)" with
"sanitized = self.title", it should work, but there are no guarantees
that this will work and not cause problems down the road.

3. I read that GPodder can apply publishing dates to downloaded files. Is
this working for youtube downloads as well? Is there a command option for
that? At the end of a file name would be nice.
There's a "Rename episodes after download" extension that you can
enable in the settings. However, it also reads "On Windows, force
ASCII encoding for filenames (bug 1724)", which means that
http://gpodder.org/bug/1724 is the reason why we don't enable this by
default on Windows. Also, this doesn't add the publishing date to the
filename, but one could add this manually by modifying the extension
(rename_download.py in share/gpodder/extensions/) or creating a new
one.

4. I usually move all my downloads to a separate folder, so that nothing
gets deleted by accident during a clean up. In Itunes I used to hit "mark
as
played" and moved the whole content of my podcast folder to another
location.
Can I do the same with GPodder from the CLI? I just want to make sure
that
GPodder won't search for deleted files and redownload them everytime ...
If gPodder has downloaded a file, and on next startup it can't find
the file anymore, it will mark that file as deleted by the user (and
won't download it).

5. During the last start from CLI I suddenly heard an error like "same
unicode argument" and "unknown lockation of filename
D:\...\gpodder\downloads\I’m Moving, Best Ice Cream, Popular Page.mp4
It's a file from my only successfull channel feed:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjzMxQKnxtRiCu-p7TfgzbA
Can one ignore such messages or will this come back later with unwanted
consequences?
It doesn't matter if you move the files away, but gPodder might have
problems trying to realize that the downloaded file exists when you
start up gPodder the next time - it might be due to the apostrophe
character (which is also the reason why we do the filename
sanitization and translating to underscore in the first place).
Renaming files to whatever comes from the YouTube feed/video title is
not so easy in the general case, although it works fine for most
English-speaking users (no non-ASCII characters), but that's not
enough - we have to make it work for non-English users as well, on all
platforms, without failing to find the file due to
charset/encoding/filesystem issues ;)

HTH :)
Thomas

Am 27.08.2014 11:08, schrieb Thomas Perl:

Hi,

I hope I'm at the right place here and someone can help me. The thing
is:
I'm blind and need a screen reader like NVDA or Jaws for windows which
can
read the contents of a screen to me. Sadly GPodder isn't very
accessible.
The installation process is no problem, but I have as good as no chance
navigate the GUI. I discovered a few shortkeys by luck: ctrl+l for
adding
new podcast, ctrl+o to import from OPML and ctrl+p for preferences. But
the
preferences par example aren't read to me. blind people rely heavily on
keyboard navigation. Lists or options should be reached with the tab
and
cursor keys. If there is a menu like file, edit, view, etc. this should
be
accessible by pressing the alt key and the letters.
The installer app is based on Inno Setup, which probably uses native
UI elements that work well with screen readers. For the gPodder GUI,
we use GTK+ (version 2), which apparently doesn't support
accessibility features under Windows:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2012-April/msg00023.html

Apparently around the same time, someone might have written some
support for it, but it might have been a problem due to licensing:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2012-April/msg00032.html

Would it be possible to make GPodder accessible for screen readers?
With the current GUI toolkit (GTK+2) we use under Windows, probably
not easily. From what I've heard from other blind users using Linux,
it works with e.g. GNOME's screen readers - possibly because GTK+ just
has that support under Linux, but nobody implemented it for Windows
(probably not a trivial task). So it's mostly a matter of us using a
GUI toolkit that's not up to the task :/

However, for the longer term, there are some ideas floating around for
doing a Qt-based Desktop GUI for gPodder 4 that might very well work
out-of-the-box on Windows (but that's really in a very early stage and
nowhere near as feature-complete as gPodder 3's GUI is, and might
never be):

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/accessible.html

This by the way doesn't only affect accessibility features. On
touchscreen Windows devices, Qt supports scrolling lists with fingers
(e.g. Windows detects that a finger is used instead of the mouse
pointer, and scrolls the view instead of selecting text, etc..),
whereas GTK+ isn't aware of that.

I know there is a CLI optionally. but I'm not sure if I can do
everything
want there. I'd like to subscribe to a lot of youtube channels and let
GPodder check for new episodes and download every hour automatically.
Can
anyone please tell me if this is possible by using only the CLI? Which
commands would I need to use for this? I wrote help but couldn'd really
find
a way, even to add a url ... I grew up with MS-DOS when I was a kid,
but
never was good in writing codes ;-)
I'm still using Win XP, soon 7.
If the CLI works for you in Windows, you should be able to do those
things:

    1.) For subscribing, you can use the command "subscribe yt:username",
where username is replaced with the channel
    2.) For checking for new episodes, you can use "update" and then
"download" to download newly-found episodes
    3.) If you want to automate it hourly, you would have to add some
task scheduler entry that runs "gpo update" (where gpo is "gpo.exe",
probably needs the full path) and then "gpo download"

For 3.), there has been a thread recently on this mailing list:

//www.freelists.org/post/gpodder/Wake-PC-and-automatically-download-podcasts,4

It's relatively easy to customize and improve the CLI for blind users
and/or our use case than it is to try to get accessibilty features
working on GTK+2 on Windows (which is a technical shortcoming).

HTH :)