[gpodder] Re: Introduction and first questions

  • From: Benjamin Blatter <b.blatter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:03:56 +0200

Hi Thomas and all

Sorry Thomas, I posted this message about a week ago but didn't get a reply yet. I know you're probably very busy. I just think I try it again because I'm a bit desperate. I used to have a more or less of a reliable way to sub to youtube channels podcatcher with RssHandler and ITunes. this isn't possible anymore, I don't know for how long tis will be because the developer is not answering any mails since about four months.
I'm searching for a way to get youtube downloads with a podcatcher again.
I wouldn't mind to buy a reliable working solution. So if anyone of you know such a program, please let me know. but if GPodder really can do what I wish I'd be happy to use it.

1. I tried your instructions for the CLI. Can GPodder sub to channel feeds, which become more and more standard? I tried these random urls:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChMEslRQz0YwbfkHrfmS5Wg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP3ZuzdUj6wVHH9aycBzP7g
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC64YU-V7FEvLWCPwXyqDGOA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-KrQxio9BE5l9sTAIA5TA

But I get unknown feed type errors.
I wrote par example "sub(of course the full word) yt:UChMEslRQz0YwbfkHrfmS5Wg", and then the same with the complete url.

My only channel feed I was successful so far is:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjzMxQKnxtRiCu-p7TfgzbA
by adding the whole url.

Are there problems with channel feeds or is there something I'm doing wrong? I think I'm successful with user feeds like:
http://www.youtube.com/user/7Tiphs
Allthough, there are not so many user feeds anymore as earlier, so it's a bit hard to test ...

2. Would it be easy to add support for filenames containing unicode like russian or japanese language? Like this url:
http://www.youtube.com/user/7Tiphs
Courently every such symbol/letter becomes a _ (underline) in the downloaded file, like in ITunes.

3. I read that GPodder can apply publishing dates to downloaded files. Is this working for youtube downloads as well? Is there a command option for that? At the end of a file name would be nice.

4. I usually move all my downloads to a separate folder, so that nothing gets deleted by accident during a clean up. In Itunes I used to hit "mark as played" and moved the whole content of my podcast folder to another location. Can I do the same with GPodder from the CLI? I just want to make sure that GPodder won't search for deleted files and redownload them everytime ...

5. I encounter a lot of error messages like couldn't load notifier, no equal unicode arguments etc. Can I just ignore these? Or is this the reason why many channel feeds aren't working?

Thanks and kind regards
Ben

Am 27.08.2014 11:08, schrieb Thomas Perl:
Hi,

I hope I'm at the right place here and someone can help me. The thing is:
I'm blind and need a screen reader like NVDA or Jaws for windows which can
read the contents of a screen to me. Sadly GPodder isn't very accessible.
The installation process is no problem, but I have as good as no chance to
navigate the GUI. I discovered a few shortkeys by luck: ctrl+l for adding a
new podcast, ctrl+o to import from OPML and ctrl+p for preferences. But the
preferences par example aren't read to me. blind people rely heavily on
keyboard navigation. Lists or options should be reached with the tab and
cursor keys. If there is a menu like file, edit, view, etc. this should be
accessible by pressing the alt key and the letters.
The installer app is based on Inno Setup, which probably uses native
UI elements that work well with screen readers. For the gPodder GUI,
we use GTK+ (version 2), which apparently doesn't support
accessibility features under Windows:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2012-April/msg00023.html

Apparently around the same time, someone might have written some
support for it, but it might have been a problem due to licensing:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2012-April/msg00032.html

Would it be possible to make GPodder accessible for screen readers?
With the current GUI toolkit (GTK+2) we use under Windows, probably
not easily. From what I've heard from other blind users using Linux,
it works with e.g. GNOME's screen readers - possibly because GTK+ just
has that support under Linux, but nobody implemented it for Windows
(probably not a trivial task). So it's mostly a matter of us using a
GUI toolkit that's not up to the task :/

However, for the longer term, there are some ideas floating around for
doing a Qt-based Desktop GUI for gPodder 4 that might very well work
out-of-the-box on Windows (but that's really in a very early stage and
nowhere near as feature-complete as gPodder 3's GUI is, and might
never be):

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/accessible.html

This by the way doesn't only affect accessibility features. On
touchscreen Windows devices, Qt supports scrolling lists with fingers
(e.g. Windows detects that a finger is used instead of the mouse
pointer, and scrolls the view instead of selecting text, etc..),
whereas GTK+ isn't aware of that.

I know there is a CLI optionally. but I'm not sure if I can do everything I
want there. I'd like to subscribe to a lot of youtube channels and let
GPodder check for new episodes and download every hour automatically. Can
anyone please tell me if this is possible by using only the CLI? Which
commands would I need to use for this? I wrote help but couldn'd really find
a way, even to add a url ... I grew up with MS-DOS when I was a kid, but I
never was good in writing codes ;-)
I'm still using Win XP, soon 7.
If the CLI works for you in Windows, you should be able to do those things:

  1.) For subscribing, you can use the command "subscribe yt:username",
where username is replaced with the channel
  2.) For checking for new episodes, you can use "update" and then
"download" to download newly-found episodes
  3.) If you want to automate it hourly, you would have to add some
task scheduler entry that runs "gpo update" (where gpo is "gpo.exe",
probably needs the full path) and then "gpo download"

For 3.), there has been a thread recently on this mailing list:

//www.freelists.org/post/gpodder/Wake-PC-and-automatically-download-podcasts,4

It's relatively easy to customize and improve the CLI for blind users
and/or our use case than it is to try to get accessibilty features
working on GTK+2 on Windows (which is a technical shortcoming).

HTH :)