[gpodder-devel] HOWTO: Run gPodder in Mac OS X

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 23:14:55 +0200

Hi there!

After I tried out writing a C app using the native OS X port of Gtk+,
I though I'll look for a way to run PyGTK apps (like gPodder) in OS X.
The helpful post that I found is this one:
http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2008-October/016036.html

So, here are the instructions to get you going in case you are
interested:

1.) Grab the package
http://www.immunityinc.com/downloads/CANVAS_OSX_SUPPORT.dmg
  and move the "CANVAS_OSX" folder it contains to /Applications/

2.) Get a recent Git snapshot of gPodder, either by using "git clone"
or (if you don't have that handy) by grabbing a tarball from this URL:
http://repo.or.cz/w/gpodder.git?a=snapshot;h=HEAD;sf=tgz

3.) Get feedparser-4.1.zip from
http://code.google.com/p/feedparser/downloads/list
  and extract the "feedparser.py" file from it and copy it to "src/"
in your gPodder snapshot

4.) cd into your gPodder snapshot and enter the following command in
one line in a Terminal:

PYTHONPATH=src/ /Applications/CANVAS_OSX/bin/python bin/gpodder --local

5.) Go to preferences and change "xdg-open" to simply "open" to open
all files with the default OS X app for their filetype (seems to be
iTunes for me; use Finder to select an MP3/OGG/... and press Apple+i
and then in "Open with" select VLC or something sane and there you go ;)

6.) Start using gPodder on Mac OS X ;)

Subscribing, downloading and playing all works. MP3 player sync should
work (it's just file operations), but MTP and libgpod support is
currently impossible until someone builds libgpod/libmtp plus their
Python bindings for OS X. The missing icons (only a cosmetic thingie)
can probably be fixed easily by copying a full icon theme into the GTK
"share/icons" folder - haven't tried this yet.

And here is the obligatory screenshot:
http://khan.thpinfo.com/~thp/images/gpodder_on_mac_os_x.jpg

Enjoy,
Thomas

PS: Fun fact: A bit more than a year ago, I got gPodder to run on
Windows.. http://thpinfo.com/2007/09/pygtk-applications-on-
windows.html So, theoretically, we are now supporting the three major
OSes. Practically, I haven't tested gPodder in Windows since September
2007.