[gpodder] Google Summer of Code 2012

  • From: Stefan Kögl <koeglstefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:52:34 +0100

Hi,

(Resending to "new" mailinglist ;) )

Google's Summer of Code [1] is on again, and I'd like to apply for the
gPodder project.

For those who don't know, we already applied last year and got
rejected. However based on the feedback I received from Google for our
application, we were pretty close to being accepted, so it might make
sense to try again.

As a first step we should update and extend our Ideas page [2]. The
page contains ideas for projects that students can work on and will be
part of our application [3]. If you've some project that you would
like to work on (or think other should work on ;) feel free to add it
to the page.

If you'd like to participate in GSoC, you can do this in two ways:

1) As a mentor of the gPodder project: You should have been involved
in the development of the gPodder ecosystem (gPodder, gpodder.net,
Client-Integration such as Amarok, Plugins, etc) and you would be
available to mentor a student who works on a project during the
summer. If you are interested, add yourself to the ideas page as a
potential mentor. Please also let me know if you've previously
participated in GSoC.

2) As a student: Please have a look at the eligibility criteria for
students [4]. Also note that you can't be both a mentor and a student.
If there is a project that you'd like to work on, add a short
description (including your name) to the ideas page.

If you have contact to other (bigger) projects, please ask them if
they would like to vouch for us -- which might increase our chances.
Such information will also be part of our application, so please let
me know if you know anybody.

Applications can be handed in until March 9th [5], so please keep this
in mind if you are interested to participate as a mentor. The
application phase for students will take place later.

Any feedback is very welcome!

-- Stefan

[1] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012
[2] http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/GSoC_Ideas