[gpodder-devel] Get rid of the URL entry box?

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:10:59 +0100

jerome chabod wrote:
> To my opinion, one advantage of this box is that a new user launching
> gPodder for the very first time can immediatly figure out what and where
> to start with (I should read again the usability test to confirm that).
> It not that usefull after having subscribed to all podcast, but since it
> can be easily hidden, it's not a problem.

For the first-time use case we have the "Do you want to subscribe to
some podcasts now?" message box on startup, and we should probably add a
button/text info to the empty podcast list (e.g. "Click here to
subscribe to podcasts...").

The specific problem with the URL entry box currently is that when it's
enabled and the user selects the menu entry, the box is just focused,
which might not be enough to gain the user's attention.