[gpodder-devel] GUI Proposal

  • From: jerome.chabod at ifrance.com (jerome.chabod at ifrance.com)
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:48:42 +0100

A few other reflexions:
* instead of adding other option to the preference dialog, why not have a
"view" menu like other application with 2 options: "show/hide toolbar",
"show/hide description"
* I also find the description under the episodes title provides by Thomas
better as a description block on the bottom
* I like Rafael's progress bar near the episodes information. I thing it's not
incompatible with the "download" tab and we could have both of them.

De : thp at perli.net
Date : 01/02/08 14:44:07
A : Development for gPodder

Sujet : Re: [gpodder-devel] GUI Proposal
Hello, Rafael!

 On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 16:19 -0200, Rafael Proen?a wrote:
 > I've made a mockup of how I think the GUI should look like (there is
 > nothing radical, just some few changes):

 Wow, these look really good with some nice, fresh ideas :)

 > * I don't like the toolbar, so I would rather prefer an option to hide
 > it (View > Toolbar).

 That's nice. A toolbar on/off toggle should be easy to implement. If you
 want, please grab the current SVN trunk head (see the Wiki for
 instructions), make a patch (including src/gpodder/config.py
 configuration option) and send it to the mailing list.

 > * Also, there is no need of an exclusive tab just to show the download
 > progress-- it can be shown in the same main window.

 The reason for this (also already mentioned in a reply by Shane) is that
 it is a way to quickly have an overview over all episodes that are
 downloaded at the moment.

 The way you did it in your mockup robs much screen space from the right
 side that could be used to display more text from the
 description/episode title (see the third screenshot on the wiki page).

 > * The short description of the episode would be shown in the bottom
 > when the item is selected.

 I think we can remove this, as with the new episode list patch, the
 description would be shown just beneath the title. Again, see the
 screenshot for how it would look like.

 > * The "Info" togglebutton would show/hide the information about the
 > episode (including the full description and other pieces of
 > information).

 What speaks against the episode info dialog? We could make the episode
 info dialog non-modal if you want, but I think the info dialog is just
 fine. What do we gain by placing the episode details in the bottom part
 of the window?

 > I've implemented part of these changes to myself, but I think that
 > maybe someone else would appreciate that. But at the very least, the
 > show/hide toolbar should be available, if someone want to I could send
 > a patch for that, as well help with the implementation of the other
 > things.

 Please, by all means send in patches if you have them. It would be
 really good if you could send them in small pieces (i.e. only the
 toolbar show/hide, then another patch for this and another one for that,
 so I can commit and review them one by one).

 > So, what do you guys think about that?

 Combining the other people's comments, I've created a Wiki page
 summarizing the current discussion status:

 http://gpodderwiki.jottit.com/gui-proposal-discussion

 Maybe we can combine the good ideas to another set of GUI mockups and
 also make sure that there is a way to view all current downloads?

My...o? ? You...quoi ? Face...qui ?... Vous ne savez plus comment ?tre
vous-m?me ?
Pour Cr?er, Partager et enfin Gagner ... D?couvrez iDOO en vid?o
http://www.idoo.com/fr/videomark.php