[gpodder-devel] File sanity check -- Is it really an mp3?

  • From: apblist at speakeasy.net (apblist at speakeasy.net)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:13:53 +0000

It's a good point, and I meant to say that I know it's not really the
podcatcher's problem to handle this.

> Does the feed return a 404 page or simply some static served
> placeholder? I think this bug should be adressed by the podcast feed
> author by simply not adding the enclosure tag to the RSS feed until the
> file is available. gPodder already handles "mixed" podcasts (RSS feeds
> with some items that don't have enclosures) gracefully by ignoring the
> episodes without enclosure.

I think it serves a placeholder page.  Though I didn't prod enough on Sunday.
I'll try to grab it in time this Sunday just to see what it does for sure.

> What kind of sanity check do you expect? It would be hard to implement
I wasn't sure if the things you use to pull things like track length from the
mp3 toss an error when given an HTML file.  It gets onto the iPod as a
1139-hour file that then doesn't play.

But like you said, it's really an issue of the feed, and probably best not to
get too wrapped up in kludging around for one bad apple.  I'll still take a
deeper look this coming Sunday and see if anything jumps out at me.

Thanks,
Andy