[gpodder] Re: File conversion

  • From: Liam Erickson <liamisnowon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:19:55 +0000

Thanks Danilo,

I've now downloaded ffmpeg for windows from here
(http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/)  I've unzipped it but don't know what to do
with it.  The error message is still coming up.

I'll go back to the forum and see if someone can talk me through a windows
install.

Cheers for your help.

Regards,
Liam.

From: daniloshiga@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:26:57 -0300
Subject: [gpodder] Re: File conversion
To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Liam,

Basically, the extension that does the conversion depends on ffmpeg software, I
use it sometimes too.
If you're under linux, just install the package, with sudo apt-get install
ffmpeg if you're on ubuntu (or debian based), or sudo yum install fmpeg if
you're on Fedora.

unfortunatelly I don't know if the extension works on Windows.
good luck
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Liam Erickson <liamisnowon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for an awesome application.  I'm just new to gPodder and have a question
about file formats:

My portable media device is limited to MP4 and .avi for video and .mp3 for
audio.  I have found that video podcasts from iTunes and some videos from
youtube are downloaded in an incompatible file format for my player.  I have
tried going into the preferences, extensions tab, and selecting some of t the
conversion extensions but it just comes up with an error: "Extension cannot be
activated. Command not found: ffmpeg".  Is there a way that gPodder can convert
my files so that when I sync my device I can play them?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Liam.

--
Danilo Shiga
Coordenador de Desenvolvimento no Grupo Voxna

Bacharel em Informática - USPLinux User #544126