[gpodder-devel] Dumping YouTube episode size detection

  • From: justin.forest at gmail.com (Justin Forest)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:52:35 +0300

I propose getting rid of YouTube episode size detection.  The reason
is that retreiving an episode from YouTube involves several HTTP
requests and redirects, which is very slow.  When I subscribe to a new
channel with a few dozens of episodes, I need to wait for a few
minutes for the episode list to show up.  I don't care about file
sizes THAT much.

In fact, I think that this information (file sizes) isn't useful at
all, and maybe we could dump it altogether?  As a result, this would
make gPodder work faster, which is much more important for a regular
user than another technical detail.

Instead, we could retrieve that information on demand and show it in
the Episode Details dialogue, for those who care.