[gpodder-devel] Different episodes from the same channel, ends up as the same file with different headings

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:53:39 +0200

Hello, Bj?rn!

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 22:58 +0200, Bj?rn Rasmussen wrote:
> When I download multiple episodes from the same channel, most of them
> ends up as the same mp3 file, but with correct titles/headings.  It's
> not likely that this problem is caused by the channel.  It's the most
> importent radiostation in Norway.  If its caused by the station, you
> should also get the same problem.  You can try subscribing to
> http://podkast.nrk.no/program/saann_er_livet.rss for example.

What do you mean with "most of them ends up as the same mp3 file"? Are
they saved to one file, essentially overwriting each other on downloads?
How can they have the correct titles/headings then?

> I've running gpodder 0.9.4, installed from the newest Fedora 7 rpm.
>
> I've tried to remove all gpodder related files from the users
> homedirectory, before I removed the package (because it whas an
> upgraded version) and reinstalled it again.  All other Fedora packages
> are the newest.

Maybe you mean the MD5-summed filenames look strange to you? gPodder
uses directory names and file names that look like
"f8eda9e8d18cee72ac3105096bdd9568" or
"a961d6c6e6b0993617f1b3282439009e.mp3" (that's the NRK P2 podcast and
its newest episode). If you want to have better names, you can use the
"sync" feature of gPodder to do a one-way sync of your podcasts to a
local directory (filesystem-based MP3 player is the option in question).

The reason for this is that URLs and filenames of podcast files are so
unpredictable that the only good way to differentiate between them is by
URL, because if the URL is the same, the file contents should also be
the same.

Hope that clears things up, or is there a real bug here, unrelated to
md5-summed filenames?